Raworths LLP
Children – Financial Support Children – Financial Support

Children – Financial Support


We act for businesses as well as the people who create, own and invest in them, building long term relationships with our clients to understand the unique challenges and opportunities they face. Our depth of experience and knowledge is focussed on providing practical advice designed to meet all our clients’ business needs.

Individuals & Families

We understand how important your case is, our experienced teams are on hand to provide practical and effective legal advice. With one of the largest teams of lawyers in North Yorkshire we work for wealthy individuals and their families, trusts and family businesses - your needs are at the heart of what we do.


Our Commercial, Residential and Agricultural Property teams have the expertise to help you deal with the opportunities and challenges of the freehold and leasehold real estate market. We have substantial depth of experience of the property world and its demands which gives us the crucial ability to help you achieve your aims.

Resolving Disputes

Disputes are an unavoidable fact of life, but when they happen it is essential to find a quick, effective and practical solution to the situation. Whether your issues are commercial or business related, family or personal, we have the depth of experience, imagination and expertise to help you solve your problems.

Carmelita Ardren

Head of Family, Children and Divorce

Claire Hunter


Joanna Lofthouse

Chartered Legal Executive

Lucy Westmoreland

Trainee Chartered Legal Executive

When a couple with children separate, they need to consider financial provision for the children’s maintenance.  Usually the parent the children live with for most of the time will receive maintenance for them from the other parent.  Parents can agree what maintenance will be paid. If you can’t agree directly, then we can help you try and agree this with your partner.  You may choose to use mediation or collaborative law as well to reach an agreement.

If you can’t agree then an application can be made to the Child Maintenance Service (formerly the Child Support Agency) which will make a calculation to decide the amount to be paid.

In some situations the Child Maintenance Service doesn’t have the power to make a calculation.  If so, it may be possible to make an application to the court for maintenance for your child. The court also has power to make other financial orders for the benefit of a child, such as additional maintenance where the Child Maintenance Service has made a maximum calculation, or for lump sums or for school fees.  We can help you understand whether this applies to you, negotiate with your partner to reach an agreement and if necessary help you with an application to court or with the arbitration process.

How to contact Raworths family law team

Please contact a member of Raworths Family Law team based in Harrogate on 01423 566666 or complete our online enquiry form and one of our specialist family lawyers will contact you.