Raworths LLP
Separation, Divorce and Dissolution Separation, Divorce and Dissolution

Separation, Divorce and Dissolution


We act for businesses as well as the people who create, own and invest in them, building long term relationships with our clients to understand the unique challenges and opportunities they face. Our depth of experience and knowledge is focussed on providing practical advice designed to meet all our clients’ business needs.

Individuals & Families

We understand how important your case is, our experienced teams are on hand to provide practical and effective legal advice. With one of the largest teams of lawyers in North Yorkshire we work for wealthy individuals and their families, trusts and family businesses - your needs are at the heart of what we do.


Our Commercial, Residential and Agricultural Property teams have the expertise to help you deal with the opportunities and challenges of the freehold and leasehold real estate market. We have substantial depth of experience of the property world and its demands which gives us the crucial ability to help you achieve your aims.

Resolving Disputes

Disputes are an unavoidable fact of life, but when they happen it is essential to find a quick, effective and practical solution to the situation. Whether your issues are commercial or business related, family or personal, we have the depth of experience, imagination and expertise to help you solve your problems.

Carmelita Ardren

Head of Family, Children and Divorce

Claire Hunter


Joanna Lofthouse

Chartered Legal Executive

Lucy Westmoreland

Trainee Chartered Legal Executive

The decision to end a relationship is rarely taken lightly.  A break-up is usually a time of great anguish, shock and often stress.  The process of bringing a relationship to an end will have a major emotional and financial impact on all family members.  Finding the right family lawyer will help you explore your options, discuss your rights and obligations and work with you towards your preferred solution.

Our family law specialists are members of Resolution and subscribe to its Code of Conduct.  Our aim is to help separating couples achieve a tailored, constructive and fair settlement, to minimise conflict and to support the welfare of any children. If others involved do not adopt the same approach however, we will take as robust an approach as is necessary to protect your interests.

The options available depend on the nature of your relationship.

Divorce or Dissolution of Civil Partnership

We can work with you to complete the formalities necessary to end your marriage or civil partnership and to deal with other issues such as the related finances and issues relating to your children.

On 6 April 2022 the new “no-fault divorce” came into effect.  This allows couples to end their marriage or civil partnership without blaming the other.

We are also committed and experienced collaborative lawyers and can talk to you about whether this could be the right option for you and your family.

Separation and Judicial Separation

There are many personal reasons why you may not wish to divorce immediately or at all, and not only for religious reasons.  If so, we can explore with you how best to protect your position, including the option of Judicial Separation.

If you and your spouse or partner can agree financial issues directly, with our help or perhaps with the help of mediation or collaborative law then this agreement can be incorporated into a separation agreement and in certain circumstances can be approved by a court.

Cohabiting partners

Separating cohabitees face the same emotional experiences when a relationship breaks down. However, it is a myth that living together results in protection as a “common law spouse”.  Unlike married couples and civil partners, cohabitees are not given the protection of matrimonial law, particularly in relation to financial matters.  The outcome depends very heavily on individual circumstances and what was either implied or agreed between you both.  For more information see our section on cohabitation, or contact one of our family lawyers.

How to contact us

Please contact Carmelita Ardren Head of Family on 01423 566666 or use this link to complete our online enquiry form and a member of our family law team will get back to you.

Related News / Articles

Apr 24

Keeping (most) family law cases out of court

“…. Like running up the down escalator” - that is how the President of the...


Mar 24

Pre-nuptial agreements: helping to protect wealth on divorce

Raworths' Head of Family Carmelita Ardren discusses pre-nuptial agreements as an important tool to protect...


Mar 24

DIY Divorce: some common risks and misconceptions

Claire Hunter, Associate in the family law team at Raworths in Harrogate, highlights some common...


Mar 24

Divorce: choosing the right approach for you

Raworths’ Head of Family Carmelita Ardren highlights some options available when considering divorce. Is there...


Mar 24

Mind the gap – sharing pension assets on divorce

Pension assets will often be one of the most substantial assets on divorce or partnership...


Jan 24

Travelling abroad with children – a guide for separated parents

Taking your child on a holiday abroad is not always as simple as booking, paying...


Jan 24

Getting a fair share on divorce

On 1 November 2023, the Nuffield Foundation released its final report on 'Fair Shares? Sorting...


Jan 24

How to protect yourself online during your divorce

January has long been reported as seeing an increase in new divorce enquiries following the...


Dec 23

Separated parents – top tips to help families during the festive period

As Christmas approaches, we all start to think about our plans for the festive period....


Nov 23

Why should you consider having a cohabitation agreement?

Family law specialist Claire Hunter at Raworths based in Harrogate discusses cohabitation agreements and why...


Jun 23

Are Humanist Marriages Legally Valid?

The law in England and Wales permits both civil marriage and religious marriage. However, there...


Jun 23

Surrogacy – time for a change

In recent years, there has been an increase in the number of children being born...


Jun 23

Divorce Leave Scheme proposals – what employers need to know

Many people have experienced a relationship breakdown, be it separation or a divorce, often with...


Jun 23

Raworths’ Head of Family recognised for her specialism in family law

Carmelita Ardren, Head of Family at Raworths, has been recognised once again by a leading...


Apr 22

No Fault Divorce – update from 6 April 2022

Having recently had the opportunity to watch the BBC drama “The Split” I found that...


Sep 21

Pensions and Divorce

A new report has again highlighted the gender inequality in pension wealth and its potential...


Jun 21

Is it worth paying for a private Financial Dispute Resolution?

For most people, (particularly those without children), one of the most important stages of a...


Nov 20

Unmarried couples who are separating – what happens to your property?

When deciding to live together, understandably many unmarried couples do not think about what would...


Feb 20

The rise of the blended family: how to plan for the future

In recent years, the term blended families has had increased media exposure. Blended families occur...


Feb 20

What is collaborative law and could it work for me? A Royal solution.

Collaborative Law, as the name implies, means working with a former partner towards a common...